Sunday, November 05, 2006

I went to Starbucks tonight, where I finished Strieber's "The Grays." Later, in the parking lot, a teenager informed me that he'd watched someone key and ram my car, apparently under the impression that I'd infringed on his parking territory. The account was enraging; I tend to avoid nice people, let alone indulge morons in vehicular turf-wars.

I scoped out the damage, which seems confined to a couple scrapes on the hood. I stopped by a gas station on the way home and checked the tires, which look OK. At least, no obvious punctures.

I hate the fucking suburbs.

4 comments:

Greg Bishop said...

How nice. People suck. People are unhappy.

The other day I backed into a pole that was too small to see from inside the car. Thing's not even a year old - the car AND the pole.

I have been wanting to read "The Grays" since it came out. Strieber I think nails the character of whatever that other consciousness is that impinges on our reality, even if he possibly makes a lot of it up. Book report?

Mac said...

The other day I backed into a pole that was too small to see from inside the car. Thing's not even a year old - the car AND the pole.

I did something similar a few months ago. I should have seen the pole, but I didn't.

I'll have a review of "The Grays" posted shortly. Not a bad book, although I didn't like it as much as "Majestic."

Blue Sky Hunter said...

The same alpha-male dickheads can be found in the inner-city, Mac. They're everywhere.

JohnFen said...

They sure are. Fortunately, they're fairly easy to handle the vast majority of the time. Observe monkeys engaging in dominance displays, and you see the technique at work.

I recently watched a couple of rednecks in their jacked-up pickup truck weaving through traffic, cutting every off. When they cut me off, I flipped them the bird. As luck would have it, I was directly next to them at the next red light. The guy flipped me the bird, and I laughed at him. He then actually opened the door of the truck and began to get out. I maintained eye contact and widened the smile on my face (it was an act -- I was actually a bit scared). He spewed a few obscenities (flung poo) and got back in the truck.