Wednesday, January 14, 2004

I received a couple copies of Meta Research Bulletin in the mail today. The September, 2003 issue contains my editorial on why JPL's so-called "Search for Life" on Mars is largely, if not entirely, a public relations charade enacted by academically conscious planetary geologists. Not exactly "The X-Files," but in light of some of the rather bizarre things photographed by Spirit and the European Space Agency's Mars Express orbiter, it amounts to something of a scientific travesty. Meta Research Bulletin has an ISSN number (1086-6590), so I assume you can order it from bookstores. Or give the Meta Research website a look. Dr. Tom Van Flandern is, if nothing else, an engaging scientific iconoclast who's not afraid to challenge consensus assumptions.

Due partly to increased interest in my website (and partly for something to do), I've uploaded a webcam self-portrait to the Mac FAQ page. This is the image upon which eWarrior's "MacBot Singularity" was based. I never really imagined it would wind up on canvas and exhibited to cyber-savvy Californians, but that's part of the fun.





In the background you can vaguely make out a bookshelf and a framed poster depicting Stonehenge, since knocked down by one of my cats.

And since I find myself mentioning pets (a fiercely enforced taboo here at Posthuman Blues), I'll take this opportunity to kindly bid you goodnight.

In my stereo:

"The House Carpenter's Daughter" Natalie Merchant
"Life's Rich Pageant" R.E.M.
"Disintegration" The Cure
"Kid A" Radiohead
"Diamond Life" Sade

No comments: