Sunday, October 08, 2006

Laughter all part of the mind, researcher says

Ms Hale says laughter is essential because it provides a cognitive respite.

"Laughter offers a temporary respite from the everyday clutter of thought. It's a different sort of consciousness with is uncluttered by the everyday 'shoulds' and 'buts'," she said.

Ms Hale believes laughter is a uniquely human talent that operates within a cultural context but also transcends culture.

"It's a kind of perception, a recognition," she said.

(Via The Daily Grail.)


Maybe the Turing test will only be passed once AIs learn how to laugh.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've been thinking about laughter a bit lately, myself.

I listen to the Opie and Anthony radio show, which is on in the mornings in most cities, and on XM Radio too, but rebroadcast in the afternoons in the Cleveland radio market. I listen on my drive home from work, and the days I have school I will sit and listen to every last minute... because of all things, they make me laugh. Really laugh, not just chuckle. I find myself literally laughing out loud, and it's usually at the crudest and most cruel humor.