Thursday, October 02, 2003

I finished Silverberg's "Dying Inside," probably the best book of its kind that I've read since Walter Tevis' "The Man Who Fell to Earth." I highly recommend this one. Fortunately it's in reprint, with a new introduction by critic John Clute.

After straightening my bookshelves, I've decided to stick to science fiction of the 60s and 70s instead of continuing with my present postcyberpunk diet. I've been wanting to read James Blish's "A Case of Conscience" for a while now. And it will be fun rediscovering Clifford Simak and Brian Aldiss.

Non-fiction wise, I'm sort of at a crossroads. I need to finish "Strange Secrets" so I can provide a review for Mysteries magazine, but I'm also torn between Vallee's "Anatomy of a Phenomenon" and John Fuller's "Incident at Exeter." Not to mention Jung's "Man and His Symbols."

The steam radiators in my apartment have been turned on. I woke up the other day to the smell of hot, aging metal and wondered half-heartedly if the building was on fire.

Some not-so-recent science fiction everyone should read:

1.) "Quicksand" by John Brunner
2.) "Thorns" by Robert Silverberg
3.) "Seetee Ship" by Jack Williamson
4.) "Slan" by A.E. Van Vogt
5.) "Childhood's End" by Arthur C. Clarke

And since I'm waiting for my Yahoo Mail account to come back online, here's what I've got in my CD player:

1.) "Naked Lunch" motion picture soundtrack
2.) "Alien 3" soundtrack
3.) "Crash" soundtrack
4.) "Blue" soundtrack

and

5.) "Lux Vivens" by Jocelyn Montgomery and David Lynch

No words on any of these except some snatches of dialogue (in French) on the "Blue" CD. If words are indeed viruses, then my apartment is the sonic equivalent to a biohazard cleanroom.

I have a sudden urge for Cap'n Crunch . . .

No comments: