Saturday, October 25, 2003

This week was almost entirely worthless, but I sort of made up for it by buying "The Essential Simon and Garfunkel" tonight while wandering around and catching up on reading "The Day of the Triffids."





I wish I knew how to play the theremin. I harbor vague hopes of eventually getting one. The theremin is arguably the world's first "techno" instrument, which partially explains why it features so largely in 1950s flying saucer movies. In "Eclipse," John Shirley describes an ostensibly futuristic electronic instrument that actually sounds quite a bit like a theremin as conceived by Stelarc.

I've recently rediscovered Tori Amos. A couple years ago I had downloaded her cover of The Cure's "Lovesong" that I liked and wish I could relocate (along with the extended version of "One Night in Bangkok" and a few other gems). I don't trust my computer enough to download any new music programs since Napster's epochal demise; it's reached a stage of competent but doddering silicon senility.

I've created a web page for the various images graphic artists have sent to me. It may take a while to load. Be patient.

William Gibson's blogging farewell:

"I've found blogging to be a low-impact activity, mildly narcotic and mostly quite convivial, but the thing I've most enjoyed about it is how it never fails to underline the fact that if I'm doing this I'm definitely not writing a novel -- that is, if I'm still blogging, I'm definitely still on vacation. I've always known, somehow, that it would get in the way of writing fiction, and that I wouldn't want to be trying to do both at once. The image that comes most readily to mind is that of a kettle failing to boil because the lid's been left off."

No comments: