Thursday, September 14, 2006

My ultrasound scan was actually enjoyable. The woman who scanned me was friendly and we chatted; she claimed my liver was one of the "prettiest" she'd seen, and obligingly let me watch the action on the monitor. (I enjoyed watching my guts quivering and pulsating in real-time, reminiscent of some far-flung cosmological phenomenon as viewed by a space telescope.) I was expecting the procedure to be cold and clinical -- akin to an alien abduction, I suppose -- but the gel was pre-warmed to body temperature and felt strangely pleasant against my skin.

I'm waiting for a verdict from radiology. I asked the scan-lady if anything looked amiss on the screen and she said my gall bladder might be causing the problem.

To be continued . . .

9 comments:

Paul Kimball said...

The woman who scanned me was friendly and we chatted; she claimed my liver was one of the "prettiest" she'd seen, and obligingly let me watch the action on the monitor.

Worst... come on... EVER!

:-)

Paul

Chris said...

They're trained to say that about every liver they meet.

Seriously, hope all turns out well!

Mac said...

Worst... come on... EVER!

Well, the thing is that I can't afford to be too selective...

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone. I'm thinking the worst case scenario is that I've got gallstones, in which case they might be able to pulverize 'em with sound waves instead of cutting me open.

Paul Kimball said...

Yeah, well just make sure you're healthy for the Symposium - I'd hate to have to replace you with Zorgrot.

He'd probably vaporize the first person to ask him a stupid question.

Heck, he'd porbably vaporize anyone who asked him a question!

Paul

Paul Kimball said...

* probably

Ray Palm (Ray X) said...

Mac:

Are you sure you had an ultrasound scan? Your experience sounds like a screen memory to me. Any missing time? Were they really looking at a gall bladder? Maybe it was really (gasp!) an alien-human fetus!!!

Of course, there's ony one way to prove your ultrasound scan wasn't a screen memory planted by the Cryptos. Get a copy on videotape and put it on YouTube! [G]

Seriously, my father had gall bladder problems; he had all sorts of stomach trouble until it was removed. If you have been going through what he had suffered until the problem was diagnosed-- ouch! Of course, it's too early to tell what the problem is. And, obviously, I ain't a doctor.

Hope it all works out OK for you,

Ray

Tony said...

Hey man, flirting with the nurses sounds like a good sign. All the best Mac!

razorsmile said...

She ... uh, only wants you for your liver?

Mac said...

Are you sure you had an ultrasound scan? Your experience sounds like a screen memory to me. Any missing time? Were they really looking at a gall bladder? Maybe it was really (gasp!) an alien-human fetus!!!

Stop it, Ray! You're freaking me out! ;-)

Hey man, flirting with the nurses sounds like a good sign.

Well, it wasn't flirting. (Or was it?)

She ... uh, only wants you for your liver?

No doubt she intends to work her way up to the brain.