Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I finished Bruce Sterling's "Visionary in Residence" and began Ken MacLeod's "Newton's Wake" (a tough decision, as the library also had "Learning the World" available and I'm a sucker for first contact stories).





Meanwhile, in "meatspace," I've been idly packing for next week's move. I'm jonesing for an up-close look at the new addition to the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, which will be within easy walking distance. (It's embarrassing to admit, but the thought of being able to walk somewhere -- let alone somewhere as cool as an art museum -- seems almost impossibly exotic to me right now.)

2 comments:

Henry Baum said...

Hey, do you have any favorite first contact novels? I just read The Man Who Fell to Earth and loved it. Also watched the movie with David Bowie's commentary which was pretty cool. I'm more interested in first contact stuff that's on earth than in outer space.

Mac said...

Henry--

Here are a few standouts:

"The Forge of God" and
"Eon"(Greg Bear)
"Blindsight (Peter Watts)
"White Queen" (Gwyneth Jones)
"Rendezvous with Rama" and
"Childhood's End" (Clarke)
"Cosmonaut Keep" (Ken MacLeod)