Monday, August 13, 2007

Here's a worthwhile essay that further reduces human beings to soulless biological automata. Not that there's anything wrong with that. In fact, I think it's dead-on accurate.* So, apparently, does science fiction writer and "reformed marine biologist" Peter Watts, whose thoughts can be found here.

*I live in Kansas City's premiere commercial district, where I get to see human courtship rites enacted on a near-hourly basis. I've seen the guys who get the girls and the girls who get the guys . . . and it all boils down to so much transparent strutting. People don't seem to desire mates so much as they crave performers -- which is fine by me**, having dealt myself out of the sexual equation long ago***. Of course, one could argue that the singles scene is hardly the place for an objective evaluation of human relationships . . . and I'd argue right back that it's ideal. Ready access to the props and instruments of consumer culture strip away pretense just as a telescope diminishes the distance between an astronomer and a far-away planet.

**Well, maybe not "fine," but you know what I mean.

***Does a year count?

3 comments:

Dr.Alistair said...

certainly in a group humans behave much as any other biomass.

but individual humans are fascinating.

i know one or two who are anyway.

try this one.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=k4jQD-rlePQ&mode=related&search=

Anonymous said...

"I've seen the guys who get the girls and the girls who get the guys . . . and it all boils down to so much transparent strutting. People don't seem to desire mates so much as they crave performers -- which is fine by me**, having dealt myself out of the sexual equation long ago***."
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I'm hesitant to say anything, but as someone who's had a number of girlfriends over the past 30 years, I can assure that being in a good, solid relationship is better than not being in one, usually. And that your post comes across as a little sad, to me.

Love, sex, and bonding with someone truly compatible can be a very beautiful thing that can enliven and make one a better person and more whole as an individual. It can be magical.

But it all depends on what one really wants. There's no problem with being celibate, either voluntarily or not, unless you think there is. Some people want to spend their time on things and issues that might preclude having a good relationship. That's OK, too.

Some are shy, or have been "burned" by relationships in the past. Some just have a hard time making a real "connection." Whatever. But that's not the issue. It's what one wants and needs that is.

But, Mr. Tonnies, I would suggest you not give up, or deal yourself out of the "sexual equation." And one year really is not a long time in this area. I hope you meet a nice, intelligent, transhumanist woman some day who can share your interests and ambitions. There must be some out there, although I would guess the "pickings" may be slim in Kansas City. But if you don't seek, you may never find.

Perhaps a personal ad in the local alternative paper or online, specifying who you are, your interests, and the type of woman you are interested in, and thus sampling the "waters" by a series of meetings for coffee or lunch might provide you with some variety and choices to select from when you are ready and willing.

Humans are social animals. Seeking or wanting to "hook up" with someone seems natural to me. Of course there are all kinds of issues, problems, time commitments, etc. that would be involved, but that's life and how things work. But I think in the long run, it's not too healthy to isolate oneself from one's natural desires in this regard. Just something to think about.

Mac said...

Anon.--

And that your post comes across as a little sad, to me.

Sad? Nah, although I don't blame you for thinking that. I'm not claiming asexuality. It's just that, for the time being, I'm not sufficiently interested in making any first moves. And even though I think "romance" is so much neurological trickery, I have nothing at all against romantic relationships.

I'm open-minded, just wary. Maybe this affords me some heightened perspective on the whole pageant, maybe not.