Saturday, December 22, 2007

Lobster serves as model for new X-ray device

A lobster's eyes, which look like small antenna, are made up of thousands of tiny square channels that allow the eyes to focus by reflection, rather than by refraction -- or the bending of light -- as human eyes do.

That unique optical geometric design, which allows lobsters to see in the dimmest light, is being adapted into a "lobster-eye lens" that focuses the X-ray images so that the device can actually see through a wall and project an image of what's on the other side.


Given the way people are treated at airports post 9-11, I'm surprised this gadget doesn't come equipped with pincers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Charlie Stross' Accelerando, the first uploaded creatures were lobsters. In the VR environment, they bootstrapped themselves to sentience and hitched a ride on an interplanetary probe.

Prophecy maybe?

Mac said...

I *still* haven't read "Accelerando." But I'm more intrigued every time I hear about it!

Anonymous said...

Great read. Fast paced. Not for a novice though, one definitely needs some idea what a technological singularity is.

Imagine swallowing a handful of "bennies" and chasing them down with espresso.

Good shit.

Mac said...

Dad--

I've read "Singularity Sky," which I thought was refreshingly funny and astute.

Anonymous said...

Mac-

Charlie's prose in most of his work has that satirical, humorous and insightful quality. He has a good grasp on the human condition.

Of course you already know this. I envy you people who can write great fiction, or any other form of art.

I'm still trying to recover my muse. She got buried pretty good when I was in the Marines.