Friday, August 01, 2003

William Gibson's staggeringly good short-story collection "Burning Chrome" has been released in a new trade edition, featuring a new introduction by Gibson.

In terms of style and verve, "Burning Chrome" is one of the best books I've ever read, and certainly one of the most important SF anthologies ever written. ("The Martian Chronicles" isn't as consistently good, nor is it as ground-breaking, but it has the same memorable quality.)

The title story is a literary nodal point.

See my cyberpunk reading list.

More fear and loathing in Kansas City

I got a letter from the Kansas City Public Library today. It seems I've had some books of theirs for over a year, and they're prepared to get tough (if a library can be said to "get tough") if I don't give them a rather large sum of money. Naturally, I called the library and feigned outraged indignation. (I fully intend to give them their books back, but damned if I give them cash.) The next logical step is to sneek into the library and put the books back on their respective shelves. Wish me luck.

No comments: