Saturday, March 25, 2006

How to get published at Boing Boing and influence people

I scan Boing Boing, on average, once every three days. And I've come to a conclusion that regular readers of the massively popular culture/technology blog might agree with. Simply: BB posts lots of items devoted to

a.) Legos

and

b.) video game icons.

In fact, a near-surefire way to join Boing's hallowed archives seems to be this: Build something unlikely and/or inordinately time-consuming out of Legos. (Or butter, or cheese, or toothpicks, or circus peanuts, or whatever bizarre medium you can dream up.) The BB editors -- who I really like, by the way -- eat this stuff up. I daresay they're fairly jonesing for it.

If making BB's cut is flatly imperative and you want absolute, unconditional assurance that your effort will be posted, try this: Build a detailed replica of, say, Nintendo's Mario out of an unconventional substance. (I'd recommend Legos, but it's been done.) If 3-D construction isn't your bag, try embroidery; BB is enraptured by "retro" geek-culture icons repurposed for today's cyber-nostalgic milieu.

There you have it -- the Posthuman Blues guide to getting published at Boing Boing. So get to work. Cory Doctorow will thank you.

2 comments:

Carol Maltby said...

That said, have you actually tried to submit things?

I know that when my husband commented on something on Boing Boing in a way that put a far different perspective on it from what they'd originally written, they not only added his first comment, but also his follow-up (I don't remember what the subject matter was).

Mac said...

Carol,

Actually, I submitted this very post.