Saturday, November 11, 2006

I've spent the last couple days flattened by depression. Fortunately I worked up the nerve to get out this evening and suffer the spectacle of weekend suburbia -- which can be endured provided I envision myself as a tourist with no real emotional stake in my surroundings. Playing the tourist role isn't hard; I've always felt a bit alien. That's why I like airports and hotels: They're transitional zones that actively require you to transform into an emotional nomad.

Barring a life on the road -- which simply isn't practical, or I'd do it -- the best I can do is try to attune myself to the unfettered flow of my own mind, becoming a sort of vagrant in the process.

I've inevitably begun wondering if there's some sort of Darwinian utility to be scavenged from depressive states. Neurologists have begun to wonder if autism and sociopathy are adaptations instead of illnesses; why not depression?

6 comments:

Maddy said...

Indeed. Why not?
Best wishes
http://whitterer-autism.blogspot.com

Mac said...

Frankly, I'm worried too. But I've cut essentially all ties with social reality and I'm not especially sure there's any easy way back -- assuming I wanted to.

Loneliness is definitely an issue. But I don't see any options at this point.

platts42 said...

Hey Mac. Perhaps the stinging bliss of a tattoo is what you need. A nice Crypto sleeve. To shock you back from the brink.

Dustin said...

Honestly, what you've been going through sounds a lot like something I went through a year or two ago. I was living far away from any of my friends or family, and I was essentially living the "alone" life. It didn't bother me at the time, in fact, it was a nice break, I thought. However, after spending a week with a bunch of my friends while being the best man at my best friend's wedding, I found that suddenly when I got back, and even on the way home, I was extremely depressed. Perhaps, in a sense, this is a post-symposium let down?

Mac said...

Cap'n--

Hey, not a bad idea there...

Dustin--

I think you're right on the mark. It's relatively easy to feel like you're A-OK until you get out in the world and do something truly fun. As such, the Symposium was a much-needed wake-up call which I should approach as all the more reason to find similar venues.

I think this is a genuine social problem: People become geographically and creatively trapped and they basically go stir-crazy ... but they don't know it. Or won't admit it.

Hence the suburbs.

Dustin said...

Mac, I think you're onto it there. What I think I discovered in myself, is that it was easy to be in the "pattern" of hanging out far away from every other living human being when I was doing it. Sure, I had my moments where I was looking for more human contact, but I was able to just shrug it off, and go through with my daily routine. However, after spending a week having the time of my life with the few people I really enjoy spending time with, going back to the same routine didn't hold the same appeal anymore.

While I couldn't find another best friend to marry off, perhaps you can find some more speaking engagements and similar types of activities to spice up your life a little.