Wednesday, May 28, 2003

Blogger is responding so infuriatingly slowly I want to scream. The system is probably overloaded with "blahgs" -- people doting over their pets and SUVs and stuff. But is "Posthuman Blues" really that different? The weblog format is custom-engineered for self-indulgence, after all. I suppose one dictinction my blog has over many others is that I don't pretend to make a secret of this. I freely admit that this is more for my benefit than anyone else's, yet I think I've got some content that's not exactly unreadable. Chances are that if you like the stuff at MTVI, you might find something interesting here as well.

Anyway...

Yesterday was tiring after 3 days of idle productivity. I managed to read instead of falling aleep early. I think my apartment's pool is open now. It's between two highrises so it's basically always in the shade and extremely cold, but agreeably so.

I'm getting a new cat on Friday. She's 8 weeks old. Not having more than one pet at a time before, I'm not sure how she'll get along with Spook (who I've had since October and who feels imminently comfortable with my comings and goings). Ebe, the new cat, is an unforeseen variable. I hope they get along; I don't think I could handle waking up in the middle of the night to break up a fight.

While I'm on the subject of animals, I have a minor confession to make. Although I'm a vegetarian, I developed this uncanny hunger for cold fried chicken yesterday. Someone had left a tray of it in the office lunchroom, and a greedily ate a couple pieces. I don't feel particularly guilty, but I did break my meatless streak. (Then again, I eat anchovy pizza regularly . . .)

Celebrity watch: Ted Nugent is appearing at a local Borders to promote his new cookbook called -- get this -- "Kill It and Grill It." I never really knew who this guy was until I started leafing through his first book called -- again, get this -- "God, Guns and Rock and Roll." Charlton Heston, gun-nut extraordinaire, is on record (on the covers of Nugent's books) claiming Nugent is "one of the good guys" due to his tireless promotion of what Heston somewhat cryptically terms "outdoor sports." I suppose what he actually means is "hunting."

I wish to make something clear. "Hunting" -- whatever one thinks of it -- is not a "sport." The deer, elk, bears and god-knows-what-else that hunters go out to kill aren't on an opposing "team." Far from it; they just want you to get back in your pick-up and go the hell away. If hunting is a sport, why do the humans always win? And why do the humans always get to decide the rules? Just once, I'd like to see some suburbs laid to waste by murderous bears with AK-47s.

No comments: