Saturday, November 20, 2004

The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.





The 20th anniversary edition of William Gibson's "Neuromancer" is out. It seems like last month I was buying the 10th anniversary edition.

I read "Neuromancer" my junior year in high school, before the Internet existed in recognizable form. I wouldn't send an email for two entire years. Experiencing Gibson's world was a jarring experience, a literary epiphany that totally altered my reading habits; although I had encountered Philip K. Dick, I had yet to read Burroughs (or Sterling or Rucker or Delany or Shirley). Although I was very much a science fiction reader, my diet had consisted primarily of classics from an altogether different era -- Clarke's "Childhood's End" comes to mind. I was drunk on the dying promises of the Space Age, virtually unaware that the Information Age was beginning to cast its first portentous shadows.

Gibson changed all that. I even remember the bookstore where I bought my copy of "Neuromancer," a modest store along Florida's Space Coast -- the slowly fossilizing turf so knowingly visited by protocyberpunk J.G. Ballard, a writer I wouldn't encounter for several more years.

I cite Gibson as my single-most important creative influence -- despite the fact that I've only written two books, and of these only one is fiction. This is far from an original claim; Gibson has become a sort of god-king among those aspiring to write "literary" science fiction, a force as omnipresent -- and unremarked -- as today's consumer ecology of software-packed cellphones. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. For better or worse, our world has taken on the texture -- if not the historical trajectory -- of Gibson's prophecy.

I admire a lot of authors, many of them fabulously prescient. But the early 21st century belongs to William Gibson. We are the unwitting offspring of his fictional zeitgeist. We are all cyberpunks.

No comments: