Friday, July 22, 2005





I received a copy of "The Cydonia Codex" in the mail today. Profusely illustrated with "mirrored" images of the Martian surface, "Codex" is a lavish, near-coffee-table-quality tome -- and it boasts dual forewords by Richard Hoagland and Dr. Mark Carlotto (both of whom give the book a cautious nod of approval for sheer epistemological daring).

I have a blurb on the back cover:

"I applaud the authors' cross-cultural approach to investigating possible Martian archaeological sites. By suggesting that a prior technological civilization might have been driven by aesthetic agenda, 'The Cydonia Codex' offers a new arena for speculation -- which is precisely what's needed to further the investigative process."

--Mac Tonnies, author of "After the Martian Apocalypse: Extraterrestrial Artifacts and the Case for Mars Exploration"

If you only buy one book on extraterrestrial artifacts this year . . . buy mine. But feel free to buy "The Cydonia Codex" too.

3 comments:

Mac said...

Strangely, the main thing I've been criticized for is not drawing conclusions; the vast majority of readers interested in the Face et al seem to *want* a grand explanation that makes sense of it all (even if it doesn't wash). Unfortunately, I don't think we're going to have a definitive answer one way of the other until we go to Mars in person.

Carol Maltby said...

Pumas.

Harrumph.

Mac said...

WMB--

Thank you. Contrary to some reviews of the book, it was *not* my intention to write a book for "believers." That's already been done. The purpose of the book, and the website before it, was to pose the Cydonia controversy as exactly that -- a controversy, and a justified one.

I make my bias clear in the introduction: I think the odds are we really are dealing with artifacts of some kind, but I don't *know* this. (Neither do some other commentators on the subject, even though they may think they do.)

I appreciate the nice feedback, by the way; it makes writing the new book that much easier knowing that someone "gets" me.