Sunday, July 24, 2005

NASA to Launch Even if Problem Recurs

My first reaction to this headline: "WTF!?"

"NASA said Sunday it will launch the first space shuttle flight in 2 1/2 years, even if the fuel gauge problem that halted the previous countdown two weeks ago resurfaces."

Yes, you read that correctly.

"Deputy shuttle program manager Wayne Hale said the fuel gauge problem has been a vexing one -- engineers still don't know exactly what caused it -- and he's asked himself, 'Are we taking care enough to do it right.'"

Well, Wayne, I'm not a rocket scientist, but it would certainly seem to me that you're clearly not "taking care to do it right" because the fuel gauge is still fucking broken.

Hale continues: "Based on the last 10 days' worth of effort, the huge number of people and the tremendous number of hours that have been spent in testing and analysis, I think that we're coming to the right place."

Ignoring a potentially catastrophic threat is "coming to the right place"? Wayne, could you elaborate on that one? Because I think I'm missing your point. It seems like you're proposing to launch a manned spacecraft knowing full well it's not up to launch standards. Surely I misheard.

Later in the article we learn that "NASA's own launch rule -- in place since the 1986 Challenger disaster -- requires that all four hydrogen fuel gauges in the external tank be working properly."

I suspect that rule is there for a reason.

Then we get this W-esque "explanation" from NASA Administrator Michael Griffin:

"These are rather arcane matters, I would admit. They're rather difficult and sometimes they don't always present well. But in the long run, I think if it's the right thing, we can explain it to you and you want us doing what's right, not what necessarily is obvious or popular."

And if you read the rest of the article it just gets worse. Someone, call off the launch.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

dissembling is a popular thing... the president does it and its all trickle-down from there

they're following the example of a not-so-great leader

Ken said...

Technocratic stupidity, ladies and gentlemen.

Mac said...

Thanks, Gerald. I've linked to it on the sidebar.

Gerald T said...

You Rock, kinda after the human man!

Mac said...

I always liked the "grizzled prospector" . . .

Mac said...

*IF* by some chance the Discovery launch should fail catastrophically, there will be hell to pay. And there will be those wondering if the disaster was an intentional ploy to kill the Shuttle program, which the White House wants scrapped anyway.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Kyle said...

Mac -

The Shuttle program is over. Once these last few are gone...no more.

But certainly another catastrophe would ground the remaining fleet forever. 3 strikes and you're definitely out of the shuttle bidness, right quick.

While I absolutely agree about the launch decision...I blogged the story from Yahoo news, where the spokesperson was Discovery vehicle manager Stephanie Stilson, and whose comments were even worse than your quotes here...I don't think an uneventful mission will save the shuttle program.

Too expensive, and yes, too risky. Too slow turnaround time, and a huge polluter. Also, inadequate to make up the lost time on the space station, which is in danger of being abandoned if a shuttle replacement isn't brought online pretty soon.

Ken said...

It's all about time and money -- and time IS money. There is even a price tag on human lives now. Whatever is most efficient MUST be done -- thus thinks the technocrat. Those folks at NASA make me puke.

Mac said...

I read that bit about stuff flying off the orbiter with a queasy feeling. Well, more of an angry feeling, actually.

Mac said...

I know what you mean. Kind of an intentional mocking hubris in the face of the Great Beyond...