Sunday, April 20, 2008

Scientists Flesh Out Plans to Grow (and Sell) Test Tube Meat





"We're looking to see if there are other technologies which can produce food for all the people on the planet," said Anthony Bennett of the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization. "Not only today but over the next 10, 20, 30 years."

Rapidly evolving technology and increasing concern about the environmental impact of meat production are signs that vat-grown meat is moving from scientific curiosity to consumer option.

(Via Communist Robot.)


Of course, some complain that test-tube meat is "gross." I wonder if they've ever so much as considered the realities underlying the alternative.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Few people contemplate the realities of today's corporate 'farming' Mac. I think deep down people realize it, but like most things now-a-days, sticking one's head in the sand is the preferred way of handling things.

Anonymous said...

Wow..I'm looking forward to trying it!
Guilt fee meat..yummy!

Mac said...

I'd try vatmeat for the simple novelty of it, but having not eaten mean in 10+ years, I probably wouldn't like it. But you never know: maybe I'd fall in love with hamburgers all over again.

Anonymous said...

I suppose the concept is off putting, but perhaps they could just call it protein and drop the meat label.

I have never been a big eater. I eat to power the vehicle I find myself housed inside. If there was a simple, safe and nutritious way to accomplish that through molecular manipulation, I don't think I would object. I would have to be convinced however.

Michael