Friday, April 18, 2008





I recently posted a clip of Michael Stipe voicing his disillusionment with the 21st century. Specifically, he wonders why his metaphorical jetpack didn't arrive on schedule.

I'm not sure, but that clip might have inspired Chris Wren's indispensable retort:

You're Never Getting Your Damn Jetpack. Shut Up.

What, did they pass a law forbidding research into personal jetpack technology? The reason we don't have jetpacks is because the people who are whining about not having them were content to spend their 20's and 30's sitting around on their asses waiting for other people to invent them. And if someone had delivered jetpacks to these heartbroken dears on schedule, these same whiners would be screaming their lungs out about the carbon footprint of selfish, Gaia-hating jetpack users. You want the future you were promised in your innocent wide-eyed youths? Stop blubbering and invent it yourselves.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess this means I don't get my flying car, either. Waaaaahhh!

Chris said...

I love Micahel Stipe to pieces, but he was indeed, the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Jet packs??? Has anyone looked at the price of fuel lately?

Anonymous said...

Jetpacks have developed. In fact they tested way back in the 1970's. Therefore, the fact you and I don't have one must be deue to poor (or no) marketing.

Like Mac, what I really want to know is, if this is the future, where's my aircar??? No, on second thought, come to think, given ground traffic as dangerous as it is, I'll pass on the aircar.

What I really want to know is, why can't I sign up for the off-world colonies? And where are my damn replicant servants to help me get set up oh, say, on Mars....