Saturday, April 23, 2005

Close Encounters of Diverse Kinds (PDF)





"The fable I want to construct out of the Abduction Reports for our further reflection is one of singularity and diversity. While the genre of the fable requires relative brevity, this very characteristic often compels its exegesis and application to take the 'long way round.' In this case, the detour is necessarily historical, an element in the histories of the western imaginations of difference which will lead us to isolate the intellectual moment that made the invention of 'race' necessary -- the first, new, influential anthropological theory since the classical period, and one that made urgent the emergence of the human sciences."

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It's been more than 10 years since I last had an 'abduction' dream, but I surely had one the evening/morning of April 20th.

In my case I'm within a few thousandths of a 100% sure they were both dreams, though I don't have any abudction researchers around to tell me otherwise.

Amazingly, I was pretty calm and not frightened one bit. I kept trying to look at my 'abductors', yet they were always just inside my peripheral vision... I was unable to see them directly or clearly.

The most striking thing about them both was the pre-waking reverie in phosphene... geometric and/or regular patterns accompanied by musical sounds... chimes and individual notes.
This is also the second time that's ever happened.

Mac said...

Re. the phosphene/patterns: Several months ago I lost a big chunk of vision when the blood vessels in the back my right eye became engorged and burst for no apparent reason.

The retinal damage healed by itself -- like a bruise -- and ever since I seem to have a heightened sensitivity to "entoptic" imagery and various phosphene activity.

Anonymous said...

more nude grey alien pics please

Mac said...

"more nude grey alien pics please"

That's a tall order. Whenever I see 'em they're wearing leisure suits.