Friday, April 15, 2005

Why is it that people accused of being "liberals" have a condescending tendency to want to "prove" their patriotism to the warhawk contingent? There's this creeping need to assure the world that hey, just because we don't support W's pet war doesn't mean we're wimps; as a matter of fact, we're even more patriotic than you macho guys in ribbon-festooned SUVs!

I imagine the inner monologue goes something like this:

"Just take a look at my bumperstickers, you rednecks. See, that one says 'Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.' Get it? Since you don't have a dissenting bone in your body, you're actually less of a patriot than I am! And if that doesn't cement my commitment to my beloved country -- which just happens to be turning to a theocratic dung-heap -- why don't you look at that sticker, the one that says 'Just because I don't support our president doesn't mean I don't love America.' How much clearer can you get? I'm more patriotic than you!"

I opt out of this mania. Nationalism, in any form, is extremely dangerous -- not to mention tedious. Happily, I'm not patriotic. I have no desire to be patriotic. More relevantly, it doesn't bother me in the least that this sentiment might enrage people on both sides of the "liberal/conservative" fence the media has so dotingly concocted for our entertainment pleasure.

At its best, patriotism is an illusory excuse for siphoning "pride" from the accomplishments of others. At its worst, it manifests as delusional self-parodies like the Presidential Prayer Team, spawning self-righteous idiocy in its wake.

So leave me out. Hoard your bumperstickers, wave your flags, scrawl dumb slogans on signs and have a good time at your ineffectual "protests." I'm not watching.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great mini-essay, Mac! I thoroughly agree. Here's a couple of relevant quotes that might be of interest:

"If forced to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I would betray my country."
--E.M. Forster

"Patriotism: The last refuge of a scoundrel."
--Samuel Johnson, "Dictionary"

--WMB

Mac said...

Great quotes. Those guys "got" it. Einstein had some very good points to make about the supposed "virtue" of patriotism as well.

Ken said...

You should take a look at what Nietzsche says about patriotism too! ;)

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't that be "hoard your bumper stickers"? :)

I've never been much of a patriot myself. It'd be kind of hard to justify being one when Sweden was a turncoat during the second world war. Maybe if we're meek enough we'll get to inherit the earth though. Whatever will be left of it when others are done with it, that is.

Mac said...

"Wouldn't that be 'hoard your bumper stickers'? :)"

Oops! Thanks; I've corrected it.