Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Wish for rain to wash away Homer

Pagans have pledged to perform "rain magic" to wash away a cartoon character painted next to their famous fertility symbol - the Cerne Abbas giant.

A doughnut-brandishing Homer Simpson was painted next to the giant on the hill above Cerne Abbas, Dorset, to promote the new Simpsons film.

Many believe the ancient chalk outline of the naked, sexually aroused giant to be a symbol of ancient spirituality.


"Rain magic" is no match for the all-powerful donut.

Update:

I just noticed that Boing Boing beat me to this. Not exactly a surprise given their seeming omniscience, but damn.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh... The cultural arrogance! Homer Simpson's character pict writ large next to the famous Ceme Abbas giant?!

I assume the Homer paint is water- soluble? Better be. If not, well...

Hey, wait a minute--what position is Homer's donut in, relative to the giant's aroused, shall we say, "that certain part of the male anatomy", relatively/spatially speaking? (checking...)

Ha! I just looked at the picture on the BBC News site--I think Homer (or the giant) are "safe," although I see that the giant carries a great, big (ahem)..club, raised up over his head, seemingly ready to knock Homer even sillier than he appears in his underpants outlined on the hill. And yes, it was done in water-soluble paint. Whew!

Kind of reminds me in a strange way of Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel portrayal from Genesis of God creating Adam. Not real sure why... Heh!

(Why, I oughta take a flying poke at a rolling donut or something ...if you know what I mean and I'll bet you'all do. If so, please tell _me_!) Snarf!

Pretty funny, considering. Wonder how involved Matt Groening might have been on the promotion ...end? ~~8^}

Anonymous said...

I just noticed that Boing Boing beat me to this. Not exactly a surprise given their seeming omniscience, but damn.

Given the nature of the subject matter, maybe they should rename themselves Boink Boink. (Wait, I think there IS a site named that!...)

--WMB as Anon

Anonymous said...

I don't know. Homer looks possibly aroused too (or is that just supposed to be the fly on his undershorts?) Plus, a donut is definitely a fertility symbol! ;-)

--WMB as Anon

weevee: apeyggk -- Apey gook -- appropriate!