Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Ectomorph: Tentacle Implants

The trend among body-mod enthusiasts to implant chunks of shaped silicon under the skin is one that never sat well with me. From a purely aesthetic standpoint the implants rarely seem to take on a well defined shape. From a personal standpoint the idea of having a piece of plastic shoved under a flap of skin, all without the benefit of anesthetic, has simply never appealed to me. I make no judgements on the people that do choose to get these implants, but never considered it for myself. Until now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but I'd have those suckers (in both senses) implanted along the INSIDES of my arms....

Mac said...

I might consider 'em if they actually *did* anything.

Anonymous said...

How profoundly ugly and grotesquely stupid, imho.

What's the basis or origin of this strange fixation some have on Cthulu-esque, tenticular appendages, anyway? Homage to Lovecraft? Octopoid love? Obscure Doc Ock reference? Me am perplexed. Illumination, please.

Mac said...

What's the basis or origin of this strange fixation some have on Cthulu-esque, tenticular appendages, anyway? Homage to Lovecraft?

You know, I think Lovecraft's mythos actually might be a considerable part of the appeal. After all, you don't have something like this done without having read some weird science fiction.