Tuesday, February 11, 2003

Whitley Strieber has posted a disturbing piece on his site re. massive proposed expansion of the "Patriot Act." An American dictatorship? Why not? It's not nearly as implausible as it sounds. Strieber makes an emotional show of it, as always, but I really don't blame him.

I'm frustrated by my Yahoo! account, which is denying me access to a mailing list that I moderate. I thought I wasn't getting as much email as usual... Anyone know what's going on? My address is macbot@yahoo.com.

I've become an NPR listener sometime in the last couple months. The spoken word editorials are a blast; I crank up the volume for those. I'm a terrible orator. I skip from topic to topic, sever my own arguments in mid-sentence and apologize on behalf of the person/political entity I'm attacking only to realize that I'm allowing myself to be manipulated, which makes me bitter and vindictive. I prefer to hover at the margins, taking it all in like a holographic camera, letting it settle and ferment of its own volition. I'm a locus of weird memes, a biohazard, an ambiguous and decidedly nonpartisan singularity.

Bureaucracy is a parasitic lifeform. It will continue feeding until human existence is a mere shuffle of commodity and idiotic smiles. A splinter faction must enter space. Escape before the planet goes nova. Burroughs and Leary. Gerard O'Neill and Robert Zubrin. Their memes must survive long after the bureaucrats are so much radioactive bonemeal.

No comments: