Sunday, July 04, 2004

Adventures in meatspace

They're out there! Real, live human beings who read this blog!

Tonight at my favorite coffeeshop the barista made a comment about my proposed lithium-ion-powered espresso cup. That was the tip-off. We briefly discussed the workings of the cup; she didn't think it would hold up to repeated washings. I tried to emphasize that the battery pack would be removed prior to being washed and that, furthermore, none other than author John Shirley had told me that The Sharper Image might conceivably go for the idea. That's got to count for something.

I spent a good part of the evening diligently scanning MOJO's new commemorative Smiths/Morrissey issue. I might have to choke up the $12 or whatever it costs to actually purchase this; the retrospective album reviews are excellent, even insightful. Returning home, I mustered the strength to remove "You Are the Quarry" from my player and replace it with Morrissey's first solo record, "Viva Hate."

Title I'm considering for my new, as-yet-unwritten nonfiction book: "The Postbiological Cosmos: Artificial Intelligence and Extraterrestrial Visitation."

What am I doing for Independence Day? Nothing, thanks. I side with Einstein: Nationalism is an illness that must be overcome.

I like fireworks, though.

No comments: