Wednesday, March 08, 2006

More Sunspots to Come

A stunning new scientific report predicts that the next sunspot cycle will be massively more powerful than the one just past, which was among the most powerful on record. This is going to cause intense climate disruptions on earth, including surface heating from coronal mass ejections, which is believed to have caused numerous forest fires during the last solar max.

The next solar max is expected to reach its peak in 2012. Because global warming is causing widespread drought, such effects could be massive.


2012 -- the end of the Mayan calendar. I'm wary of prophecies concerning sudden, dire change; I really don't anticipate any pyrotechnic "end of the world" scenario. But that doesn't preclude the possibility that the Mayans actually knew something we don't.

If they did, could it have had something to do with the health of our sun? Perhaps we'll have to wait and see.

3 comments:

Mac said...

TWilliam--

"The Mayan Prophecies" is officially going on my to-read list. Thanks for the recommendation!

Mac said...

"Earth Under Fire" -- another one I need to read. Man, you're schooling me!

Mac said...

If you shop online, pleae don't hesitate to buy 'em via my links. I get a referral from Amazon and, frankly, every bit helps.