Thursday, March 23, 2006

Remember the "hovering car" in Australia? Well, it's becoming a trend. Whatever this is -- or isn't -- I can't help but wonder if Google Earth devotees will eventually discover something so flatly inexplicable and unearthly that it challenges our assumed role as the planet's dominant species.

(I wish Google Earth had been in full swing when I wrote "After the Martian Apocalypse." The parallels between the addiction to desktop terrestrial sight-seeing and the ceaseless canvassing of Mars Global Surveyor imagery are pronounced. We humans are puzzle solvers, and we unhesitatingly eschew isolated anomalies in favor of mysteries of assumed planetary scope.)

(Thanks to The Anomalist.)

1 comment:

JohnFen said...

It looks to me like the shadow is pointing the wrong direction in this new one...

Although this was offered as an explanation for the old one, I never saw it for that. I do for this, though: it looks like two cars, one black, standing next to each other. A drug deal in progress, no doubt.