Monday, October 02, 2006

I pulled into the library parking lot this evening and immediately sighted a copy of Dawkins' "The God Delusion" in the passenger seat of the car next to mine. It didn't look like a library copy, either -- I think the car's driver had actually purchased it. Finding this vaguely heartening, I scanned the back of the car for Jesus fish decals. None. Not even a NASCAR sticker.





I've maintained for some time that religion is the single-most threatening obstacle to the continued survival of our species. Either we grow out of it -- which seems unlikely -- or we choke to death in the womb. Maybe not in 20 years, although the seeds are most definitely germinating, but certainly within 150. It's become a race -- and an unfair race at that, because practitioners of tribal religiosity have access to the same exponentiating technology as those who are at least marginally "enlightened."

I'll be donning my "optimist" persona at the New Frontiers Symposium. I pretty much have to, if for no other reason than talking about exciting, progressive ventures is vastly more fun than considering that we're in the midst of a century-long end-game.

But once I've elaborated on humanity's potential for greatness I'll probably assume a less glamorous outlook: one in which intelligence -- human, posthuman or otherwise -- doesn't have much of a say. Because we'll be gone, our presence reduced to a scribbling of curious fossils and a varnish of chemicals.

3 comments:

Chris said...

I'm not sure removing religion from the equation would help much. The communists tried and they ended up killing over 40 million people worldwide. The Fascists tried it, and they ended up killing another 30 or so. Consumerism may end up killing billions before it's done. The problem isn't our gods. It's us. There's just something wrong with US. I'm not sure whether improving ourselves with technology will be our salvation, or whether it'll just make us even more efficient destroyers. But instead of religion, we need to be focussing on where religion comes from: the hard-wired compulsion to impose our egos on the universe.

Mac said...

I think getting religion out of the way might help quite a bit. I'm not proposing trying to weed it out by force; we have to grow out of it of our own accord -- and that means changing.

The problem isn't our gods. It's us.

True enough, but our gods *are* us. They're malignant fabrications that have rooted themselves in our minds. Hopefully in the process of focussing on where religion comes from we can find a way of curing it.

Mac said...

When I condemn religion I'm also referring to the very notion of "belief." Belief kills brains.