Thursday, May 17, 2007

Neo-Ruins: Lithographs of post-apocalyptic Tokyo





Hisaharu Motoda's "Neo-Ruins" series of lithographs depict the cityscape of a post-apocalyptic Tokyo, where familiar streets lie deserted, the buildings are crumbling and weeds grow from the broken pavement. The antique look of the lithographic medium effectively amps up the eeriness of the futuristic setting. "In Neo-Ruins I wanted to capture both a sense of the world's past and of the world's future," says Motoda on his website.


Motoda has apparently hacked my subconscious. These images are thrilling.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find no thrill in this picture. Sometimes when I see new construction, I have a vision of what the building will look like when it reaches its inevitable demise. It is a cycle of nature thing. However, taking joy in the destruction of the human species (which I see many people do), is really a personal death wish. I simply do not have that. There has been great music created by humans, terrific novels, and thought that takes us to other planes. When the human species ends, I only hope that it is through evolution to the next level. Of course Kurt Vonnegut sees us evolving into something like sea lions. That is another subject.

Stan

Mac said...

You misinterpret my use of "thrilling." I think the goal of art is to thrill us on some sub-rational level, and I find these pictures exciting and horrifying in both execution and subject matter.

Anonymous said...

Hell, this guy should get his website in gear; it looks pretty much very, VERY pre-apocalyptic. Tsk.

Nice artwork anyway.

Anonymous said...

зеленый лазер
электрошокер
товары мини камеры
товары народного потребления