Wednesday, April 08, 2009

My new "Loving the Alien" column is live.





Why I'm looking forward to 2012

On December 21st, 2012, the world ends -- and begins anew, like a PC rebooted after yet another Windows software patch. Or at least that's the general idea. Like the Y2K phenomenon before it, the 2012 meme is only fractionally tolerant of agnosticism: either one accepts that Earth will undergo some vaguely defined transformation or one does not.

I take a cautious middle ground, choosing to view the end of time (or, rather, the ancient Mayans' conception of it) as a useful temporal rallying point, a juncture not unlike a hyperlink leading to some dodgy -- if tantalizing -- FTP site.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice work Mac.

I feel that 2012 is more of a "rallying point" than a literal shift but I do think we are destined to make something happen. A culmination of knowledge and a forced acceleration of events. A willing transference to a new way forward.

At the end of the day (on the 21st) I think 2012 will represent a sober, reflective journey for the worst of us. An empowering and uplifting move forward for the rest of us ;)

If nothing happens at all...well, fuck it. Same-old, same-old until we Dinosaur ourselves I guess.

-Denny