Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Tape: Bush, Chertoff Warned Before Katrina

Bush didn't ask a single question during the final briefing before Katrina struck on Aug. 29, but he assured soon-to-be-battered state officials: "We are fully prepared."

The footage -- along with seven days of transcripts of briefings obtained by The Associated Press -- show in excruciating detail that while federal officials anticipated the tragedy that unfolded in New Orleans and elsewhere along the Gulf Coast, they were fatally slow to realize they had not mustered enough resources to deal with the unprecedented disaster.


And yet not a day passes when I don't see creepy little bumper-stickers in support of this guy.

I've long since given up on politics as an effective way of saving ourselves from ourselves. That said, I overwhelmingly support the The Chimp's impeachment, if for no other reason than the effort might force us to consider climatological issues that threaten the lives of millions.

4 comments:

Edward Ott said...

this would mean he more of a Liar than even previously thought.

Salam

Carol Maltby said...

"I've long since given up on politics as an effective way of saving ourselves from ourselves"

I forget -- does that make you part of the problem or part of the solution?

Edward, I'd say it's not so much the level of being previously thought to be a liar, but the willingness to say he's a liar.

platts42 said...

No wonder Bush is trying to secure everything in his administration. Not very flattering footage there, but if it's made top secret, it won't get out.

What I find interesting is that there seems to be an increasing number of "leaks". Passive/Aggressives who disagree with the boss, stabbing him in the back.

Sorry, did I say "interesting"? I love it.

Mac said...

Despite the overwhelming evidence that W is unfit for cleaning urinals -- let alone running a nation -- I still find the possibility of impeachment remote at best. Part of me doesn't even care. I think of W as a more of a symptom than a cause -- which is a pretty frightening notion!