Saturday, November 29, 2003

Chown's "The Universe Next Door" is a great roundup of dispatches from the bleeding edge of theoretical physics. I haven't enjoyed a popular science book this much since Gary Zukav's "The Dancing Wu Li Masters." I confess: quantum cosmology has an interesting narcotic effect on me. I get a cerebral buzz off of it, a sort of Zen lucidity.

I'm doing an Internet radio show in about an hour to discuss the latest Mars weirdness. Rense.com has flooded me with hits: so many that I've exceeded my monthly data transfer allocation and am now paying extra to keep the site online. I actually wrote to Rense's webmaster to ask that he remove the link to my site from his headlines so I don't wind up paying a fortune. Hopefully, since it's a Saturday night and people are presumably out drinking, eating and shopping, the hits will start trickling off. In the meantime, I'm still getting deluged. It's great to be popular, but I need to be prepared the next time this happens.

It's a zoo outside, a confusion of shoppers and Salvation Army volunteers and horse-drawn carriages. I barely managed to cross the street back to my apartment.

No comments: