Friday, June 16, 2006

I turn 31 in August. I'll officially be in my thirties, something I can rightfully deny right now, since being 30 is no more "in my thirties" than 2000 was the "turn of the millennium." I'm a little disheartened by aging, not because of getting older but because I feel even less part of the human continuum, which has always proven elusive. It's like being an android who sees itself in danger of obsolescence; there are plenty of newer models on my heels, all eager to partake of the very experiences I've shunned or, more often, simply ignored. Cue Morrissey.

Paradoxically, I don't feel that bad. I'm not particularly depressed, just a little angry -- at myself, I suppose -- and prone to moodiness (some of which is a good thing, although surprisingly difficult to decipher).

5 comments:

Chris said...

Life begins at 30. At least, it did for me. My 20's were wasted on too much Star Trek reruns.

Mac said...

Good to hear!

Kyle said...

Mac -

Yup..."I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour, and heaven knows I'm miserable NOW..."

Wait until you're 45...the chicks are all too young, and the ones that aren't...well they aren't what you call "chicks" anymore. Ick!

Luckily I snagged a honey early on...and learned to cook to make myself indispensible...SERIOUSLY!!

Actually it gets better since people expect less of old people. LOL

Thank goodness I'm still not quite eligible for senior discounts...

Kyle
UFOReflections.blogspot.com

Ray Palm (Ray X) said...

Mac,

31? That's young. Take it from me. Now where did I put my Polygrip? Goldang dentures...

A previous poster mentioned about his health going after age 40. I think health -- physical and mental -- is more important than age. Of course, as another poster pointed out, age can mean declining health. But I've never been in great shape -- no Olympic athlete here -- so 40 or older doesn't mean that much if you're like me, someone with very little to decline from. [G]

In fact, since I've become an older grumpy fart, I feel better because I don't put up with all the crap I did in the past. Grumpiness is a sign of good mental health. Yell at a whippersnapper today.

Ray

Mac said...

Oh, I'm probably over-reacting. I'm not freaking out or anything, just trying to figure out where I am and where the hell I go from here.