Sunday, November 05, 2006

The idiots across the hall are playing their TV so loud I can hear every word. I can't think. My world is ceaseless canned laughter and blaring political advertisements. I'd knock on the door and ask them to turn it down but I'm afraid I'd suffer reprisal -- if not me, personally, then my apartment. Or my car.

"Sanity" in this society is a brittle veneer. Most people secretly hate themselves; the most they can do is hope to numb the pain. But the facade invariably cracks and barbarism comes seething through the fissure in an eager red tide.

The dead walk.

7 comments:

Ken said...

What you wouldn't give for the quiet wind-swept panorama of a Martian dawn, huh?

Mac said...

Oh, you have no idea ...

JohnFen said...

Buy yourself one of those compressed air horns they use on boats. Listen to the show, and cover key moments of dialogue with a good solid blast. Or, just give a constant and regular series of blasts, except when the commercials are on.

Or what W.M.Bear says. I enjoy playing music loud, and I could on my neighbors' guidance in helping me know when I've reached the "obnoxious neighbor" decibal level.

Of course, I always tell them this when I first meet them, hoping that will make them feel freer to knock on my door. I'd hate to be the cause of someone's silent suffering or to get first wind of a problem from the cops stopping by.

JohnFen said...

by "I could on my neighbors" I mean "I count on my neighbors," of course.

Dustin said...

At least you're the "kind" neighbor Mac, and there's something to be said for that. Knock on the door, and tell 'em to turn it down from now on.

I used to live above a guy who, literally, came up, kicking on my door and screaming, every single time I even walked around with shoes on. I mean, geez...

Katie said...

Ugh. I used to live next to a couple, and the guy used to beat the crap out of his girlfriend on a regular basis. I'd call the cops, they'd arrest him, she wouldn't press charges, and the cycle would start all over again.

He finally found out it was me calling, as I happened to be the only one in the apartment building with a working phone, and began threatening me. Needless to say, I moved very quickly afterwards.

Mac said...

Always, always, always get a top floor corner.

Score!