Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Has feared mutation of avian flu arrived?

Officials in at least two nations now suspect the avian flu bug has mutated into a virus that is being transmitted from human to human – a development world health authorities have estimated could result in the deaths of tens of millions.


[. . .]

Meanwhile, in Indonesia, the disease is spreading so rapidly, particularly in the capital of Jakarta, some health officials strongly suspect the long-dreaded mutation has already occurred.

"There are just too many people who have it," said one doctor. "In many cases, it is difficult to establish any contact with birds."

1 comment:

Mac said...

I'm skeptical of this article as well. I want to see figures.

Having said that, I think a human-to-human mutation is practically inevitable. And I bet it's already happened, or will happen in the extremely near future. I suppose we'll find out soon enough.