Monday, December 19, 2005

Last year I made a half-assed New Year's resolution to devote more time to writing. I'm making it again, but this time with a better sense of perspective.

The thing is, maintaining a daily blog is addictive . . . and, of course, fun, or I wouldn't be doing it. But it also takes up a surprisingly large amount of time and I feel I'm needed elsewhere -- if not necessarily in "meatspace," then at least poring over my word processor or reading an actual tree-based book (I haven't read as much as I would have liked over the last few months).

I think it would be premature and silly to stop posting here, so I'm not about to. But I'm going to change the flavor of the posts to expand upon the work I really should be doing -- namely, splicing/massaging my new nonfiction effort into intelligible form, cranking out more (finished) short-stories and getting serious about the commercial potential of a science fiction novel manuscript. (It occurred to me this evening that one of my favorite author/bloggers, Rudy Rucker, manages a rather remarkable fiction output while maintaining a well-wrought weblog, so I don't think writing and online publishing are mutually exclusive. In fact, I foresee the two genres becoming increasingly entangled and symbiotic.)

Quite honestly, I've got a lot on my plate right now, which is the way it should be. So in 2006 Posthuman Blues' emphasis will probably shift from coolhunting and fringe commentary to more personal, creative concerns. The change might be radical or it may be subtle; I don't know. Hopefully it will be for the best. If not, then at least it will be a diversion.

Anyway, if you notice a drop-off in the number of posts in the near future, don't be alarmed. And by all means please keep me bookmarked.

4 comments:

Mac said...

Thanks, Gordon.

Gerald T said...

A blog takes an INSANE amont of time! And for what?!?!

gotta be half mad...mumbel mummblll...

Mac said...

Nevertheless, a cottage industry has grown up around such things, trade paperbacks with glossy pics are sold

Damn. My trade paperback didn't get *any* glossies.

platts42 said...

Mac's got no clothes? I have to jump in to defend Mac here. While I can't say for certain what is actually on Mars, but I think Mac covers the debate quite well rather than simply declaring, "Yep. Life on Mars."

Light and Shadow yeah, sure. Jesus on a grilled cheese..., but Bilateral Symmetry, that's just weird.

Anyhoo. I for one welcome the thoughts that will be coming from Mac's head. I want the personal stuff.