Tuesday, August 01, 2006





SETI urged to fess up over alien signals

"They have had numerous extraterrestrial signals," Greer said, during the radio broadcast. "They were apparently searching in a spectrum or in an area . . . where they hit the mother lode. The signals were so numerous that they began to have their systems externally jammed by some sort of human agency that did not want them to continue receiving those signals."

(Via The Anomalist.)


If Steven Greer isn't a disinformation agent -- and frankly, I doubt he is -- you really couldn't hire a better one. The man has gone to profound lengths to make the serious study of UFOs as "fringe" as possible. The more he appears on programs like "Coast to Coast" (which I pointedly never listen to) the more pronounced the "giggle factor." Or, in Greer's case, the "sigh factor."

9 comments:

Paul Kimball said...

Mac:

I'm not quite as convinced as you are that the "good" doctor isn't working for someone, but the odds are that he's some combination of a loon, or a huckster.

Either way, he's a bane to the cause of the serious study of the UFO phenomenon.

Paul

Henry Baum said...

Why is he a bane? Disclosure was one of the most convincing books about UFOs I’ve read. Though I just read his latest—Hidden Truth, Forbidden Knowledge—and he makes some FAR out claims. Surprising, and an annoying number of typos. If this is such an important message for all of mankind, he could have gotten a decent editor.

The thing that worries me about the eschatology put forth by Pinchbeck or Greer is that is similar to the Christianists. Global warming/WW III may be just what we need to usher in a new era and so all the shit that happens can be justified. The apocalypse doesn’t have to be literal: internal rather than external, but they all suggest that humanity might need a kick in the ass for it to happen.

Mac said...

Global warming/WW III

The two are probably more closely related than we realize.

Mac said...

Why is he a bane?

Because he's either authentically whacko or else does a very good job of faking it. Talk with one of the actual witnesses he's manhandled.

Paul Kimball said...

Talk with one of the actual witnesses he's manhandled.

I have (you were there for one of them, as I recall). They don't have fond memories of the "good" doctor.

Paul

JohnFen said...

By coincidence, I just watched the old season 3 X-Files episode "Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space'." It's probably my favorite episode, but it also addresses one way that some of the gigglier reports come from otherwise rational people.

Henry Baum said...

I'm curious about this. These guys seems all right:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4694075066240662837&q=steven+greer

Mac said...

Henry,

Who are these guys anyway? I haven't watched the whole thing but I have yet to see a subtitle.

Mac said...

Null--

I'm afraid I'm not much of a radio listener. I do find myself scavenging YouTube, though.