Thursday, June 01, 2006

Underrated Science Fiction Writers: Like the crew at Meme Therapy (a damned good blog, by the way), I can't recommend Peter Watts' Rifters novels highly enough. I picked up "Starfish" more or less at random and couldn't put it down; likewise with the sequel, "Maelstrom," one of the darkest, most distressing cyberpunk novels ever written.

I'm also glad to discover a fellow fan of Philip K. Dick protege K.W. Jeter, whose "The Glass Hammer," "Farewell Horizontal," and "Noir" stand as overlooked classics.

4 comments:

razorsmile said...

And I *never* miss an opportunity to pimp Blindsight.

weevee: mrsdocul (oooh, this is a good one)

Mac said...

Watts does alien contact? Too cool!!

razorsmile said...

He doesn't just do it - he does the hell out of it. Dark dark thought-provoking (once you've read the book, you'll see the pun there :D) shit.

Mac said...

I'm sold! Thanks for the recommendation. This one somehow slid under my radar.