Thursday, April 14, 2005

Execution by injection far from painless





"The authors of the new study argue that it is simplistic to assume that 2 to 3 grams of sodium thiopental will assure loss of sensation, especially when the people administering it are unskilled and the execution could last up to 10 minutes. They also point out that people on death row are extremely anxious and their bodies are flooded with adrenaline - so would be expected to need more of the drug to render them unconscious.

"Without adequate anaesthesia, the authors say, the person being executed would experience asphyxiation, a severe burning sensation, massive muscle cramping and cardiac arrest - which would constitute the 'cruel and unusual' punishment expressly forbidden by the US constitution's Eighth Amendment."

Oh, well. Since we're busy scrapping the Constitution anyway . . .

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading this article made me think of all the methods used to execute people:
Crucifixion
Beheading (by axe and guillotine)
Drawing and quartering
Burning at the stake
Hanging
Firing Squad
Electrocution (invented by Edison)
Gas Chamber
Lethal Injection
And others I've probably overlooked. If aliens are observing us, surely they find it curious at best that so much human ingenuity has been directed to this end.
--WMB

Mac said...

Yeah, we're a pretty industrious lot, we humans.

The Mind Of Popokinut said...

Ah well, we always were creative with what we term 'garbage' Reminds me of the 'aware' anesthesia victims who regain consciousness and are forced since they are paralyzed to endure operations with all the pain and glory -- While there are advanced lil cunning machines that will determine by brain waves whether you are 'home' or not, many anesthesia administrators do not like to use them.. $$ I suppose, Time consuming or just plain harder to deal with?? Excuse me, I want that feature!!

TheUltimateCyn said...

Eeeeee
I say bring on the pain...

pain tells me at least I am still alive -

Mac said...

I think Paulina Poriskova should adminster the injection.

TheUltimateCyn said...

hmm... well, she is kinda cute (in a grim reaper sort of way)
... I suppose dying by her hand would only heighten the idea that there is a hell anyway (not that I believe in hell), but I may believe in it if I had to look at her face while dying...
thanks for your addition to my death nightmare visuals...
appreciate it Mac...

I am still trying to find a proper taunt for you laddie... it will come - lol