Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Yet another media meme

1.) You're stuck inside "Fahrenheit 451," which book do you want to be?

Maybe "Neuromancer" or "Burning Chrome." (I'm partial to William Gibson.) Or maybe Jack Womack's "Elvissey" or "The Best Short Stories of J.G. Ballard"; that would be an honor indeed.

2.) Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

Sure, although I can't exactly come up with a list at the moment. Probably one of Philip K. Dick's femmes fatales. "Neuromancer's" Molly was also quite fetching in a cyber-noir kind of way. Geez, here we go with my Gibson fetish again . . .

3.) The last book you bought is?

Salinger's "Nine Stories."

4.) What are you currently reading?

I'm finally polishing off Rudy Rucker's "Frek and the Elixir" -- and enjoying every page -- and sort of ambling my way through Paul Von Ward's "Gods, Genes, and Consciousness" (nonfiction).

5.) Five books you would take to a deserted island?

Oh, man. Taking the question at face value (and excluding William Gibson's books for the sake of well-roundedness):

1. "Naked Lunch" (William S. Burroughs)
2. "Breakfast of Champions" (Kurt Vonnegut)
3. "2001: A Space Odyssey" or "Childhood's End" (Arthur C. Clarke)
4. "The Martian Chronicles" (Ray Bradbury)
5. "Memories of the Space Age" (J.G. Ballard)

(Encountered at Busy, Busy Busy.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seemed that I had a crush on 'Sheen' from Piers Anthony's Split Infinity, when I was twelve.

He was just too vivid describing her when she first appeared.

Anonymous said...

I'd take

Illumined Black by Mac Tonnies

The Big Book of Amber "Chronicles of Amber" by Roger Zelazny

Science and Sanity by Alfred Korzybski (sic?)

Complete Golden Dawn works - Israel Regardie

and some

Zen book I cannot remember at the moment

to a desert(ed) island - all books which I have yet to read but would probably drag me off the island in the directions they go. Doesn't seem too fun on an island all alone, so, I suppose all literature that would get my mind in the mode for something great.

Anonymous said...

1.) Uh...were there any books that weren't burned? I suppose it'd be nice to be one of those...

2.) My favourite fictional character is Motoko Aramaki from Ghost in the Shell 2: Man Machine Interface, so I suppose that one could say that I have a crush on her.

3.) If comic books counts, the aforementioned Ghost in the Shell 2: Man Machine Interface by Masamane Shirow. Otherwise Perdido Street Station by China MiƩville or Midnight Tides by Steven Erikson (they came in the same package).

4.) The comic book mentioned twice already, as well as a swedish translation of Alexander Dumas' Le Sphinx Rouge (looted it from my late grandmother's estate).

5.) To a deserted island I'd probably prefer to bring five books about survival on a deserted island! Possibly including a book detailing how to send rescue signals...

Mac said...

You're probably gonna regret bring "Illumined Black" along. But I won't stop you.

Unknown said...

I can't think of any female in a book that I've had a crush on (excluding Playboy and Penthouse, anyway)...