Tuesday, April 05, 2005

I've got a problem. I don't read nearly as much as I did only a couple months ago. I still have a long and ever-changing list of titles to read; I still dote over the shelves at Barnes & Noble. But I'm having difficulty getting back in my groove.

Part of the problem is that I've got this unquenchable ego that interprets good writing as a challenge. ("Why am I reading this when I could be writing something of my own? How dare I line this author's pockets when I've got stuff of my own I want to work on?")

Another part of my problem is that, in my own quiet way, I'm an unrepentant people-watcher, and since I habitually read in public places, this gives my mind ample excuse to wander. ("What in the world does a girl like her see in a guy like that?")

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dont forget Mac, most of those people are watching you back. (oh christ, that rhymes)

Anonymous said...

ya gotta keep reading...even if its just to spring off other writers ideas...

im currently reading superluminal, sequal to metaplanetary by tony daniel...check it out if only for the "grist" concept.

Anonymous said...

I totally don't comprehend people I see reading or working on their laptops in Starbucks or some such place. God, I freak when I hear a car drive past outside. (I freak a lot!)
--WMB