Saturday, April 02, 2005

I had access to a TV/VCR tonight, so I finally got to see the Peter Jennings UFO special everyone was fretting about not long ago. I don't want to perpetuate the subject, but I'll quickly go on record agreeing with the majority of ufologically inclined viewers: It sucked. Rather, the second half did; I thought the first half, with its emphasis on the early government decision to discredit the topic at all costs, was well-done (at least for a mainstream television production).

The second half (with its yawn-inducing devotion to SETI's Seth Shostak and embarrassingly simplified rendering of the abduction phenomenon) was almost unwatchably bad. The sole redeeming virtue was the inclusion of physicist Michio Kaku, whose informed commentary underscored Shostak's unrepentant foolishness.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen the Peter Jennings UFO special but I believe you about Seth Shostak. His writing about SETI certainly puts one to sleep. And I keep wondering, why is that? And how is that such a crashing bore gets to be considered THE authority on the subject? Is it because most members of his audience (verbal or video) LIKE to be addressed as though they were mental children?
--WMB

Anonymous said...

I've heard that the face on Mars closely resembles the actor that played "Moe" in many "The Three Stooges" films.

Henry Baum said...

At times the documentary made the SETI people look foolish. Or maybe that's wishful thinking. I have a weakness for all things alien so I'm always glad they're at least talking about it.

Like yesterday I saw the movie "The Forgotten." I had no idea that it was an alien movie. I liked it just because I'll watch any alien laced movie, no matter how trashy.

Anonymous said...

Mars Trek -- The Search for Larry and Curly!
--WMB

Mac said...

Moe? My vote would be for "Cornelius" from "Planet of the Apes"...