Thursday, April 28, 2005

Scientists Say Everyone Can Read Minds

"Gallese contends that when we interact with someone, we do more than just observe the other person's behavior. He believes we create internal representations of their actions, sensations and emotions within ourselves, as if we are the ones that are moving, sensing and feeling."





In "Blade Runner" (and Philip K. Dick's novel), the most economical way of determining whether someone was human or android was to conduct an "empathy test." In the film version, at least, the capacity for empathy hinged (at least partly) on remembered experience. The "replicant" played by Sean Young, for example, passed abnormally high on the empathy test because she'd been equipped with implanted memories.

I foresee a future in which memories -- real and simulated -- are routinely swapped between consenting (and not-so-consenting) parties. What will this do to the concept of empathy? Will we become more or less "human"?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

" ... Will we become more or less "human"? "


People who ask that question often do so on the assumption that "human" i.e. as we currently are, is neccessarily the best way to be. Perhaps your future is the next step in the transition.

Speaking of futures, the "termite belly" one is pretty nifty too.

Mac said...

"People who ask that question often do so on the assumption that 'human' i.e. as we currently are, is neccessarily the best way to be."

Very true. Thankfully, I'm not one of them.

Anonymous said...

Whether a given individual would become more or less human by swapping memories would depend on the memories in question, as well as how human the individual is before receiving the new memories. Because some of us are more human than others. Right? :)

Anonymous said...

"Very true. Thankfully, I'm not one of them"

Agreed. I have been following your blog for a couple of months now so I know that much.

Anonymous said...

"Because some of us are more human than others. Right? :)"

*eyes you suspiciously*

Your name wouldn't be Squealer by any chance, would it?

>8^p

platts42 said...

I foresee a future in which memories -- real and simulated -- are routinely swapped between consenting (and not-so-consenting) parties. What will this do to the concept of empathy? Will we become more or less "human"?

Sorry man, not edgy enough. You gotta come up with something better.

He believes we create internal representations of their actions, sensations and emotions within ourselves, as if we are the ones that are moving, sensing and feeling. Yes, that's why we become very surprised and disappointed when someone we think we know, does something "out of character"

Mac said...

"Sorry man, not edgy enough. You gotta come up with something better."

I'll keep trying, man...

Tait McKenzie said...

well yeah, but did we really need science to prove it? LIke really it was so obvious you'd post this article, I knew it last week ;-)

Anonymous said...

When I'm at work, I keep having these moments when I feel that I'm actually one of my co-workers. Very bizarre sensation. Fortunately, it typically only lasts for a few seconds. Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing?

Mac said...

I think I probably lack the mirror-neurons necessary to empathize to that extreme . . . I'm a replicant, I guess -- although a damned fine one.

Anonymous said...

"Your name wouldn't be Squealer by any chance, would it?"

Actually, by no chance whatsoever.

razorsmile said...

The artist formerly known as chinedum:

"When I'm at work, I keep having these moments when I feel that I'm actually one of my co-workers. Very bizarre sensation. Fortunately, it typically only lasts for a few seconds. Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing?"

Grant Morrison would approve.

posicionamiento web said...

Quite effective info, thank you for this post.