Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Creation of Black Hole Detected

"A faint visible-light flash moments after a high-energy gamma-ray burst likely heralds the merger of two dense neutron stars to create a relatively low-mass black hole, said Neil Gehrels of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center. It is the first time an optical counterpart to a very short-duration gamma-ray burst has ever been detected."

I'm not suggesting this was anything other than a natural cosmic event, but I wonder: If your goal is to create a black hole (perhaps for megascale industrial purposes), maybe crashing two neutron stars is a relatively economical way of doing it. End wild speculation.

3 comments:

razorsmile said...

Steven Baxter would at least pat you on the head for that, maybe even ruffle your hair a little and say "Dasso cute, dat iz zo cute"

Mac said...

It's funny you mentioned Baxter. I was thinking of him when I posted this.

tablet pc tienda said...

It won't really have effect, I consider like this.