Thursday, January 24, 2008



Ah, yes -- "Did Aliens Build the Pyramids?" This was to be my Discovery Channel debut. The film crew treated me to a nice day in Albuquerque, where I endured a series of leading questions while basking in the red glow of painstakingly arranged theater lights. I had a good time chatting with the crew (and dining on their expense account) and looked forward to seeing myself on TV. At the time I had no idea of the show's title.

When I finally saw the DVD and realized I'd been excluded I breathed a sigh of genuine relief. As you can see above, "Did Aliens Build the Pyramids?" is an unapologetically kitschy treatment of a New Age conceit that's been rightfully discarded for decades . . . although even the most sympathetic Fortean has to relish the image of a self-aggrandizing Erich von Daniken sweating it out in the desert heat while confined to an armchair.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jason Martell just parrots the decades old "Ancient Astronauts" stuff. His lectures about aliens, martian anomalies and planet x seem to be a weird patchwork of theories postulated by Däniken, Hoagland and Sitchin.

A copy of "After the Martian Apocalypse" would help. But those copies are rare these days. :-)

Steffen

Mac said...

Martell regurgitates. I've never heard him say anything new.