Monday, January 21, 2008

Dissecting bodies from the twilight zone: Stuart Wavell meets JG Ballard

Believing that reason and rationality failed to explain human behaviour, he resolved to become a psychiatrist. "I already had my first patient -- myself." To this end he studied anthropology, psychology and pathology at Cambridge. For the next two years he dissected cadavers, trying to exorcise the memories of dead Chinese on Shanghai's streets.

"Sometimes there would be the bodies of entire families that had perished during the night," he recalls. "I took it for granted, but I knew there was something wrong about all this. Perhaps I sensed that we were like a pack of wolves destroying itself."

(Via Ballardian.)


Aside from mentioning Ballard's cancer, the article describes his owning a Ford Granada -- my first car.

No comments: