Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Synchronicity: The Key of Destiny

"And while most people brush them aside as insignificant happenstance, some of the greatest minds in history have grappled with this universal enigma. 'Synchronicity' was coined by last century's leading psychologist, Carl Gustav Jung. Fascinated as he was by it, even Albert Einstein could not understand how it worked."





I experience synchronicity on a near-daily basis. I've come to view it as a sort of intelligence; I don't know if this is intrinsic to the phenomenon itself or an unrecognized aspect of myself. At the same time, it can seem quite mechanistic, like gravity or thermodynamics. I'm reluctant to commit to any grandiose uber-theories, as they all sound self-centered if not downright solipsistic.

Then again, maybe I really do play a central role in the universe. Maybe you do, too, but your universe is ever-so-slightly different than mine yet still sufficiently similar that we can agree on a common "reality" -- at least most of the time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember 23?

And this just in:

"Paul Wolfowitz, US deputy secretary of defence, has emerged as a leading candidate to replace James Wolfensohn as the president of the World Bank."

http://www.guerrillanews.com/headlines/1274/Wolfowitz_on_shortlist_for_World_Bank_top_post

Is this going to start a tradition that the PWB will have to be an American with "wolf" in his name? (Next in line, Wolf Blitzer?) Also reminds me of that great sequence in F9/11 with Wolfowitz licking his fingers and then slicking his hair back with them for his close-up.
--WMB

Ken said...

Syncronicity is bizarre stuff. I'm not sure if we'll ever get to the bottom of it (and I don't think I buy Jung's explanation - at least not wholesale). IMO, though, there really does seem to be something to it other than mere coincidence.

I was thinking of 9/11 last night when I got the idea of checking to see what Trump 11 of the Tarot deck signified. Uncannily, the card is called "Judgment" and it pictures a king holding a sword in one hand, a pair of scales in the other. Stated in the simplest terms, the card would seem to be saying that *we had it coming*.

Ken said...

I meant "Justice" not "Judgment". My bad.

Anonymous said...

I found that the rise in experiencing entoptics I had in my forties was accompanied by a fairly intense rise in synchronicities. It may go with the territory.

Anonymous said...

I don't see anything uncanny about this, but that's because I figure that if you pay enough attention you'll see lots of stuff, and when a lot of people and a lot of events are involved there's bound to be coincidences, and with enough coincidences some of them may very well turn out to be positive ones. These things hardly ever happens to me, but perhaps I got all the luck I deserved when I happened to move out of my parents' house at the same time as apartment prices were at their lowest for a very long time.