Saturday, April 01, 2006

I just discovered that the coffeeshop where I've been writing lately has its own website.

I'm making decent progress on my new book, which I hope to have finished by the end of the year. One of the obstacles is that the subject matter -- alien visitation and the fate of technological civilizations -- is exceptionally slippery. But I've grabbed hold of a few substantial threads and I'm determined not to let go.

Something James Spader's character said in the last episode of "Boston Legal" keeps cropping up in my mind. After a bout of anxiety-induced "word salad," he questions his ability to persist and says something like: "Words are all I have. Without words, I'm all alone."

I don't want to be all alone.

4 comments:

Carol Maltby said...

There are parts of the world/s that words don't touch, can't touch. You're a human, and those places are your heritage too, when you decide to claim them.

"Don't put all of your eggs in one basket" might be a suitable caution.

razorsmile said...

"I'm not the most connected individual, Denny. Sometimes words are all that allow me to feel like I'm a part of the world, a part of life. If I don't have words, then I'm alone." - Alan Shore, Boston Legal

Here's the exact quote.

Mac said...

Carol--

Thanks, as always, for a welcome touch of humanity in a posthuman world.

Razorsmile--

You certainly do your research, don't you?

razorsmile said...

Heh.

Actually, a friend of mine made the same quote on his MySpace the day before you did. I didn't really have to go far, so to speak.

weevee: xfcyode (xefocyode - bizarre alien computer component? Or would that be xenodiode?)