Monday, January 29, 2007

The suburbs have brought me to the edge of despair; the least I can do for myself is move downtown, heedless of any potential inconvenience, and quit living according to a poorly researched script.

I finally got my hands on a hardcopy of Peter Watts' "Blindsight." Unfortunately, I don't feel quite up to the task of reading it. I'm tired and irritable. I feel the need to grieve, but I'm not sure what I've lost . . .

Then again, the paralysis will lift. It always does. Then I'll be good for another few months of ersatz functionality.

Please pardon the negativity.

6 comments:

Katie said...

I think part of it is the time of year. I've been crabby as hell the past month or so myself, and have found ranting on the blog to be very theraputic. And I've refused to apologize for it. :o)

Mac said...

Katie--

Good for you! Never apologize for anything you write.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with finding a better place. We moved to our new place about 6 months ago and are desperate to escape the crazy people with their firecrackers at 3:00 AM. For crying out loud, it's 10 degrees outside!

Most of them, apparently, are on our local minor league hockey team. Ah, the Great Lakes...
ajg

platts42 said...

Suburbs are stagnant wastelands. Listen to the Rush song: "Subdivisions".

I agree witht the despair. January and February are about as stark as a Badlands Tundra.

I feel yer pain.

Mac said...

Suburbs are stagnant wastelands.

You're being *way* too generous.

Marti said...

Sorry to hear you've been so blue. I agree the weather and shorter days has something to do with it. Sorry for not visiting much, father-in-law is in hospital, have had to spend a lot of time there.

Best wishes in finding a beter living space!