Thursday, July 10, 2008

On my "to read" list:

"Spook Country" (William Gibson)

"The Road" (Cormac McCarthy)

"Saturn's Children" (Charles Stross)

"Mars Life" (Ben Bova)

"Mainspring" (Jay Lake)


Anonymous said...

Oh boy, the conclusion of Ben Bova's Mars Series. Bova mentioned the intention to add another book to his "Mars" series some years ago in an interview. But i never thought this would ever happen.

The question is now: Do i wait for the german translation?

In the meantime, enjoy the book, Mac!


Anonymous said...

Hey Mac,

Do you have a top 10 list of must read sci-fi? I am embarrassingly far behind and life now affords me some time to get some reading in here and there.

Thanks in advance!


eyemage said...

I heartily endorse spook country and saturns children.

Mainspring didnt really do it for me, the pacing felt all wrong, although the individual ideas and concepts were good.

Dr Evil said...

I have to say that the Road is one of the most beautiful and depressing books i've ever read. It will stick in your head for a long time. I haven't read the others, but I can't wait to get my hands on saturn's children. (And to any closet-fantasists here - Toll the hounds is out. :D )

Mac said...

A top ten list? Hmmm. Not a bad idea!

In the meantime:

Mac said...


I didn't see "Mars Life" coming, but Bova is prolific as hell and I guess I shouldn't be surprised. He's not the best stylist in the world but he tells a good story.

razorsmile said...

Spook Country and The Road both come with heartfelt recommendations -- from me.

Mac said...

There's no doubt in my mind that I'll like "Spook Country." But I'm halfway thru "The Road" and have distinctly mixed reactions (so far).