Monday, March 16, 2009

I'd be making an expression like that too if I knew the blade runners were after me.

Life-like walking female robot (with video)





Japanese scientists have unveiled a female humanoid walking robot at Tsukuba City, north east of Tokyo.

The robot, named HRP-4C, has 30 motors in its body that allow it to walk and move its arms as well as eight motors on its face to create expressions like anger and surprise.

She will also make a special appearance in a Tokyo fashion show and will go on sale for around $200,000 (£142,000).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Life-like" is a bit of stretch, don't you think? I know early studies suggested robots would be more acceptable to a wide range of potential consumers if they were life-like, but I think we're past that stage now. Give me a bot that can actually do something useful. Looking like a human doll, walking and making bad facial expressions just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Michael

Mac said...

Give me a bot that can actually do something useful. Looking like a human doll, walking and making bad facial expressions just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Amen.

Anonymous said...

Why bother with robots when nature has already created one known as "man" Although interesting and a test of human ingenuity it's a waste of time and money.
There's also the BIG risk that once they've advanced enough they'll destroy humanity... It's inevitable.